Honours for healthcare leaders
January 29, 2021
The important role of Australia’s healthcare workforce, particularly during a pandemic, has been recognised with a large number of awards for healthcare leaders across all three divisions of the 2021 Australia Day Honours. The awards reflect the dedication and resilience of the sector and distinguished service to medical education and research.
The VHA congratulates all recipients of Australia Day Honours from across the country including those working in public healthcare.
Many recipients working within public healthcare in Victoria are linked to VHA members including hospitals and community health services and included:
Member in the general division
- Ms Susanne Valerie Clarke for significant service to community health in regional Victoria. Former CEO Bendigo Community Health Service.
- Ms Barbara Jane Hingston for significant service to community health, and to people with disabilities. Former Non Executive Director Austin Health and DHSV.
- Mr Kevin Wayne Ericksen for his service to medical science, and to pathology practice standards. Worked at Monash Health for 45 years.
- Associate Professor Douglas James Brown for significant service to medicine, particularly to spinal cord injuries. Head of the Victorian Spinal Cord Service, Austin Health.
- Professor Jonathan William Serpell for significant service to medicine, particularly to endocrine surgery. From Alfred Health.
Honorary medal in general division
- Dr Carmel Crock for service to emergency medicine, and to medical education. Director of the Emergency Department, The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
- Mr Rodney John Whyte for service to pharmacy, to professional societies, and to the community. Senior Pharmacist at Monash Health.
- Mrs Amanda Stephan for service to nursing, particularly to child and maternal health. Maternal & Child Health Nursing / Maternal & Child Health coordinator, West Wimmera Health Service.
- Mr Peter Denzil Craighead Yarram for service to rural health administration. CEO Latrobe Regional Health.
- Ms Jennifer Shutt Walsh for service to community health, particularly to palliative care. Co-ordinator of the palliative care volunteer team, Barwon Health.
- Associate Professor David Rowan Webb for service to medicine, particularly to urological surgery. Urologist, Royal Children’s Hospital.
Officer in general division
- Professor Susan Ruth Davis for distinguished service to medicine, to women’s health as a clinical endocrinologist and researcher, and to medical education. Endocrinologist, Alfred Health.
- Professor Robert Francis Moulds for distinguished service to medicine, to clinical pharmacology and medical education, and to the development of therapeutic guidelines. Former General Director of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- Professor Helen O’Connell for distinguished service to medical education, and to medicine, in the field of urology, as an academic and clinician, and to professional groups. Head of Urology, Western Health.