Managing risk in health services – professional development for new board members and executives
- 11 February – Risk concepts and context, 4pm to 5.30pm
- 18 February – Risk in practice, 4pm to 5.30pm
- Online via Zoom
The VHA invites new board members and executives in the health sector to a two-part risk professional development series – risk concepts and context and risk in practice delivered in partnership with Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA).
Session one will enable participants to:
- Establish a common level of understanding of risk, including definitions and language
- Establish a common understanding of strategy and its relationship to risk
- Explore the difference between risk, quality and safety
- Explore the role of the chair, directors and executives in managing risk
Session two will enable participants to:
- Discuss the various risk related documents and tools that you can expect to see and how you use them
- Explore how to capture risks in a meaningful way that facilitates understanding and action
- Explore risk appetite and tolerance as a tool to help make informed decisions
- Ask challenging questions in a safe environment
VMIA is the Victorian Government’s insurer and risk adviser. VMIA works to support their clients’ risk and insurance needs so they can be confident in the face of uncertainty and recover quickly when things don’t go to plan.
VMIA’s purpose is to build a confident, resilient Victoria through world-leading harm prevention and recovery.
About the facilitators
Jane Boag, Head of Enterprise Risk Advisory, VMIA
Jane has held a variety of senior and executive roles in health and related fields such as aged care, private health insurance and the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). She has also held a number of Director roles in Community Health, Aged Care, Disability and the Arts sectors. Throughout her career, Jane has demonstrated her focus on positive client experiences and strong business performance outcomes. Her understanding of risk management and governance is the focus of her current role at VMIA as Head of Enterprise Risk Advisory, where the team provides risk management advice to the Victorian public sector.
John Belfrage, Risk Adviser, VMIA
John has over 40 years experience in all levels of the Victorian public health sector. In that time, he has held roles as a clinician, manager, teacher, researcher, executive and adviser. His career highlight involved consultancy support to government to implement chronic disease self-management programs in Italy and Hong Kong. John has been with VMIA as a Risk Adviser for the last 6 years. His current professional interest lies in developing a robust evidence base to demonstrate the effectiveness of risk management.