Mentoring program for hospital board chairs, directors and CEOs
Would you like:
- an opportunity to reflect on professional challenges and achievements in your role as a hospital board chair / Director / CEO?
- to gain personal and professional development from problem solving and constructive guidance?
- the satisfaction of volunteering to help others and contribute to the future success of the sector?
The VHA’s Australian Centre for Healthcare Governance in association with the Department of Health is offering healthcare leaders access to another round of its popular mentoring program. The purpose of the mentor program is to provide support for CEOs in an environment where leadership and governance is increasingly paramount.
Interested in being a mentor? EOIs sought from current or recently retired Board chairs / Directors / CEOs of Victorian hospitals who:
- have experience working in a Victorian hospital as a Board chair / Directors/ CEO
- have the ability to support and guide Board chair / Director /CEOs in newly established or challenged hospitals
- have experience in a range of metropolitan or regional environments and budgetary sizes
- are willing to volunteer and support the health sector by guiding others
Register your interest here
An invitation for mentees will be sent to board chairs / directors and CEOs in Victorian hospitals who:
- want to improve their skills in leadership and governance
- are seeking guidance from a more experienced hospital Board chair / Director and CEOs
- would like a confidential sounding board to refer to in any range of subject matter regarding the hospital Board chair / Director and CEOs
- have special challenges they wish to overcome in their current role
If you would like to learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Quotes from 2018/19 participants
“Open engagement and welcoming Mentor who challenged in a very positive and proactive style. It was great to have a really high achiever who has been a leader for many years who has been able to provide advice and learnings.”
“Being a CEO is a lonely and tough job and having a Mentor can help ease this.”
“I think that the Program has been beneficial for the Mentee and myself.”
“Experience and knowledge of the broad issues and topics is really important, and my Mentor was always able to provide value. One of the benefits of the program was creating a new connection that I hope will continue at some level outside the formal program.”
About the program
The Mentoring Program is a 12-month structured, mentee driven program where mentors and mentees agree to meet monthly for 60-90 minute mentoring meetings. The program is supported by an evidenced based, web platform that provides tools and resources to ensure a high quality and outcomes driven mentoring experience for mentors and mentees.
Mentoring meetings may be a mix of face-to-face, telephone and skype or online conferencing depending on the location and availability of the participants.
All participants are expected to complete the online training provided by Art of Mentoring. The training consists of five modules which will prepare and equip participants for the program. The training is self-paced and is estimated to take one to two hours to complete.
All participants are expected to attend the opening and closing events. A mid-program review will be offered separately for mentors and mentees to offer further training and gain feedback on the program.
Regular short surveys will also be provided for evaluation purposes.
The program is fully funded by the Department of Health with no charge to participants, however places are limited with a maximum number for the year and per intake.