Honours for healthcare leaders
June 10, 2020
A number of VHA members have been recognised in the 2020 Queen’s Birthday Honours list, awarded on Monday 8 June.
Several healthcare leaders received the second highest award, the Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) including:
- Professor Graeme Barnes, Hon Emeritus Gastroenterologist at Royal Children’s Hospital
- Mr Francis Sullivan, Board member at Mercy Health
- Mr Julien O’Connell AM, Former Chair of the Mercy Health Board and current Chair of the Mercy Health Foundation
- Dr George Werther, Former Director of the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes at the Royal Children’s Hospital
- Professor Ingrid Winship, Chair of Adult Clinical Genetics at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, and Director of Genetic Medicine at Melbourne Health.
Professor Andrew Roberts, Research and Education Lead for Haematology across the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer, who delivers care at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and Royal Melbourne Hospital was awarded a Member of the Order of Australia (AM).
The VHA also acknowledges the AM awarded to the Chair of the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System Penelope Armytage.
“In this list we see all the positives that are in our community – we see the great ideas, we see the hard-work, we see the love and compassion for fellow human beings – it’s a microcosm of Australia,” the Governor-General said.